16 June 2017

Femininity Friday: Why a Pedestal-Worthy Character Remains Relevant

Courtesy of Two Hearts Design
Would you marry a man of doubtful character?  I hope not!  People of character are becoming increasingly rare as world cultures drift toward chaos.  To my perspective, that drift makes a woman with a pedestal-worthy character even more of a treasure than in times past. An excerpt from my book, A Fascinating Companion: Marriage Enrichment Curriculum and Commentary, reveals my further thoughts on the matter.  

While teaching Marriage Enrichment classes for the past thirteen years, I have noticed that some women resist being placed on a pedestal. One lady said to me, “If I’m up on a pedestal, I’ll seem cold and inaccessible to my husband.” There might be some truth to that, depending on the individual personalities involved, but most men want to marry women whom they can trust completely.

"....To win a man’s complete trust, a woman must possess and display an angelic character. This fact remains true across cultures and time. Even if a man’s character is problematic, he almost certainly wants a woman whose character is better than his. A man may lie, cheat, and steal, but he doesn’t want his wife to do the same. A man also doesn’t want a woman who “lords it over him” because her character is more angelic than his. 

Being on the pedestal doesn’t mean behaving in a cold, distant way. It seems to me that quite the opposite would be true. Part of having a truly angelic character would be realizing our own humanity. Thus, we wouldn’t be haughty; rather, we would recognize ourselves as part virtue and part fault, constantly working toward an ideal. Part of having a truly angelic character means working toward ridding ourselves of any tendency toward pridefulness, which would eliminate “lording it over” anyone, especially our husbands. Finally, part of having a truly angelic character is working on emotional maturity...

As always, I hope that my little "woman-to-woman" ideas have helped. 

Agape always,
Cynthia

 

No comments: